In some cases, a spouse may try to get away with “dirty tricks” in hopes of advantaging their position while disadvantaging their spouse’s position when or after a separation occurs.
It is important to watch for these “dirty tricks” to ensure no one is being prejudiced in any way. If any of these occur, you should speak with a family law lawyer right away to determine your options.
Here are a list of “dirty tricks” some spouses may try:
- Withdrawing all the money from a joint account and depositing it in their own account instead
- Making large and unusual purchases on a joint credit card
- Moving out of the matrimonial home and refusing the pay any of the household bills
- Making intimidating claims that have no merit
- Threatening to make up lies that could have devastating effects
- Damaging, destroying or selling household contents or other property
- Lawyer shopping (i.e. having consults with numerous lawyers in the city in hopes that the other spouse has difficulty retaining a lawyer)
Though advancing your case may seem enticing, you should never try one of these “dirty tricks” yourself. It can, and usually will, come back to haunt you. If you are considering any of these “dirty tricks” or if you have been the victim of one of these “dirty tricks” you should speak with a family law lawyer right away.